Bueller? Bueller? -- McCain needs Rove
While Stein is no lightweight - and he does say that Rove could improve the McCain campaign, it's clear that he's recommending Rove to McCain in the same way he'd recommend something buoyant to a drowning man:
"Mr. McCain is running the absolute most pathetic campaign I have ever seen in my whole life," Stein said in his unmistakable monotone delivery. "His campaign is just heartbreakingly pathetic. He is a very impressive guy. He is a brave guy, but he is running the most lackluster campaign I have ever seen in my entire life. I would have thought Bob Dole's campaign would have set a record for poor campaigns, but this one is even worse. I mean it is shocking."Stein's recommendation of Rove is two compliments of Rove's ability and one where Stein won't "discount the possibility" that someone in the McCain campaign will ask Rove to take over.
To some addled person at CNN, this justifies the article's headline. If the article stopped after the Rove quotes and obligatory why-you-should-care-what-Stein-thinks copy, it might.
Instead, Preston goes on to recount Stein's sentiments for Al Franken, his reasons for avoiding cocktail parties and whether or not he'd like to reprise his role in Ferris Bueler's day off.
This was about Rove? No, this was about Preston.
No comments:
Post a Comment