Tuesday, February 03, 2009

All our base don't belong to us

YT - Kyrgyzstan Said to Deny Base to U.S.

Long War Journal - Taliban sever NATO supply line through Pakistan's northwest

While I don't have a hard count of all the access ports the US & NATO are using to get into Afghanistan - it seems pretty clear that the few we have are tenuous.

-And that if this is true:
AP - NATO says members may use Iran for Afghan supplies

NATO would not oppose individual member nations making deals with Iran to supply their forces in Afghanistan as an alternative to using increasingly risky routes from Pakistan, the alliance's top military commander said Monday.

We are now willing to play with Iran in order to get supplies into Afghanistan. I'm not savvy enough to know if that is as big a leap for NATO as it would be for us, but I'm thinking if NATO is making public noises about dealing with Iran - that's not a good sign.

(H/t to Danger Room and Long War Journal)

No comments: