Thursday, February 12, 2009

A bright light in the dark field of justice

Emptywheel and bmaz interpreting Judge Walker's latest order in the FISA immunity case, In Re: National Security Agency telecommunications records litigation:
Emptywheel: Say, Mr. AG, I'd really appreciate seeing some of your original lawyering work on this one, please. I've seen what the dead-enders want to give me, and I'm not really interested in seeing their stale arguments rehashed again. Unless, of course, you're really willing to adopt their completely indefensible position as your own?
bmaz: Ladies and gentlemen, Vaughn Walker is on a mission. As most of you know, I have thought that was the case for quite some time now. But jeebus, and seriously, I have rarely, if ever, seen a judge more on top of a subject, loaded for bear and out in front of a case as we see here. It is awesome and impressive. He is anticipating what the parties are going to argue and how appellate courts are going to rule in the next set of appeals, all from a pre-trial posture. He is treating this case with the respect, depth and care that it deserves because nothing short of our Constitution and Fourth Amendment thereto is at issue. There are precious few bright lights in the dark field of justice these days; irrespective of how it all plays out in the end, so far this sure looks like one of them.

Here's hoping they're right.

No comments: