Friday, February 08, 2008

Now? Now they get around to it?

Okay, I realize I'm on a bit of a tear here, but the NYT is reporting:
Military prosecutors are in the final phases of preparing the first sweeping case against suspected conspirators in the plot that led to the deaths of nearly 3,000 Americans on Sept. 11, 2001, and drew the United States into war, people who have been briefed on the case said.
This would include prosecuting Khalid Shaikh Mohammed.

Let me get this straight: We capture this toad in 2003. We hold him without charges - incommunicado - in secret prisons. We torture him. The government takes a series of steps to deny all legal rights to him. Congress passes laws that constrain his access to legal representation and judicial review.

Most of this is obfuscated with double-speak or out and out denied by our government.

Having sidestepped the legal norms of this country - and having laid the groundwork for an endless series of appeals based on the legal apostasy they have created - the military is going forward with pressing charges the very week that our government confirms that KSM and others were waterboarded.

I mean, it's like this story is counter ballast to the confirmation of waterboarding.

"Yes, we torture - but look we're about to prosecute these guys! I mean, we did torture them, but we don't anymore! And we're gonna seek the death penalty! With the system we've created - they're sure to be convicted! See how great this is?"

You just gotta wonder.

No comments: