Thursday, February 14, 2008

What's that thing in the middle of your back? Is it... a bone?

A Texas House Chairman aims some smack at the White House (h/t to Emptywheel):
You have also suggested that Congress must grant retroactive immunity to telecommunications companies. As someone who has been briefed on our most sensitive intelligence programs, I can see no argument why the future security of our country depends on whether past actions of telecommunications companies are immunized.
The issue of telecom liability should be carefully considered based on a full review of the documents that your Administration withheld from Congress for eight months. However, it is an insult to the intelligence of the American people to say that we will be vulnerable unless we grant immunity for actions that happened years ago.
Emptywheel also lists a statement from Sen. Harry Reid that sounds nice. But at this point - if I'm looking for words of inspiration - I listen to Sen. Reid seconds before I hit up the President for an ideological pep talk.

It remains to be seen if there is anything more than kabuki going on - but if more statements like these can fight past the filter - perhaps there is a chance an honest public debate can take place.

And that debate - I could be hopeful about.

No comments: