Monday, February 25, 2008

Stop what you're doing

Danger Room has it right, you should read what Elizabeth Rubin is writing in the NYT Magazine about the war in Afghanistan - like, now.

With the nation focused on our war of choice, Rubin reminds us that our war of necessity continues. She follows an Army Captain and his men into a landscape that threatens their morality as well as their lives.
[Captain] Kearney could see a woman and child in the house. “We saw people moving weapons around,” Kearney told me. “I tried everything. I fired mortars to the back side to get the kids to run out the front. I shot to the left, to the right. The Apache” — an attack helicopter — “got shot at and left. I kept asking for a bomb drop, but no one wanted to sign off on the collateral damage of dropping a bomb on a house.” Finally, he said, “We shot a javelin and a tow” — both armor-piercing missiles. “I didn’t get shot at from there for two months,” Kearney said. “I ended up killing that woman and that kid.”
Read the whole thing. Then plan on reading her follow up article.

Late correction: I Must have Kenny Loggins running around my subconscious. Corrected the name to DangerRoom from DangerZone. Yeesh

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Cunning Realist had a good post on this a while back. Essentially suggesting that it was safe for businesspeople for a while, no more. Long live the Republic...